Job Title: Part-Time Parish Bookkeeper
Job Summary: The bookkeeper is responsible for the timely and accurate tracking of all financial transactions and for contributing to the effective financial administration of the parish, particularly in the areas of accounting and reporting. Financial records include donor records, cash disbursements, accounts payable, payroll, financial reports on activities, budgets, donor restricted contributions and disbursements. The bookkeeper works with confidential information and must respect privacy and confidences of church staff, church members and others working with a need to know about financial information.
This hourly position will usually require 5 to 8 hours/week with all work to be done on the premises of Christ Church. Any hours over 8 per week must be approved in advance by the Rector or in her absence by the Treasurer. Compensation is in the range of $14 – $18 per hour, based on skills and experience. There are no fringe benefits or vacation, although unpaid leave may be arranged with the Rector. Salary is paid on the 15th and last day of the month. The weekly schedule can be flexible, is determined with the Rector, and will be within normal business hours of Monday through Thursday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Friday 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. The bookkeeper reports to the Rector and works in close collaboration with the Rector, Treasurer, and Parish Administrator and Program Coordinator (PAPC).
Major Job Functions:
• Keeping the parish books:
o Verify Sunday offering income reported by the PAPC and post deposits. o Verify and post incomes from use of parish facilities.
o Verify payroll and record all transactions accordingly.
o Reconcile all bank accounts and endowment statements.
o Maintain files of invoices and financial documents.
o Update and verify annual budget in accounting system. • Paying bills:
o Pay regular bills, ensuring appropriate authorization and documentation.
o Verify exemption status and pay property taxes. • Reporting:
o Prepare monthly financial reports for Treasurer.
o Prepare monthly summary of trust information on parish spreadsheet for Treasurer. o Provide information for the annual Parochial Report and church audits.
o Process payroll for church staff and part time employees and contractors such as
musicians, including quarterly reporting as required by law.
o Oversee pension paperwork and payments for clergy and participating lay staff. o Prepare year-end tax reports, W-2’s and 1099’s.
Core Competencies and Experience:
• Regular and reliable attendance consistent with church policy and applicable law.
• Proficiency with MS Office including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
• Experience with and a high level of proficiency with QuickBooks financial software.
• Knowledge of payroll reporting requirements.
• Knowledge of bookkeeping and basic accounting rules.
• Knowledge of financial concepts and principles (accounting or business experience desirable).
• Attention to detail and accuracy in data entry.
• Superior skills in prioritizing work tasks and in managing electronic and paper filing.
• Demonstrates mature judgment and a positive attitude.
• Works with a wide range of constituencies and handles all matters with confidentiality.
• Maintain a welcoming atmosphere of collaboration for parishioners and fellow employees.
Education and Experience:
• College education preferred
• Accounting / Bookkeeping courses required
• Prior experience with payroll required
• Prior experience with QuickBooks financial software required
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, responsibilities or requirements that are necessary for the employee for this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time and with or without notice. The appointment includes annual formal review of performance.
Applications received by February 1, 2018 will be given priority consideration, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Initial interviews will begin as soon after Feb 1 as schedules permit.
To apply, please email a one-page cover letter, resume, and references to Ken Bladh, Treasurer, at email@example.com. Employment will be contingent upon a successful interview and background check.